Thursday, March 28, 2013

My Ease into Mommy-hood




Well it has been officially 2 weeks since we pulled out of our driveway in Georgia. After a very long car ride and a snow storm we have finally set into our new daily life in Kansas. Hubby has started to work in his new office and is loving it. We went shopping last week to get some office supplies to get him all set up, new computer and new chair (of course I spent about an hour attempting to put the chair together only to realize at the end that I had to take the arms off and put them on the other way :( not fun).
This also marks the start of my second week as a Stay-At-Home-Mom (minus the baby of course). I have spent this week trying to get the house organized and ready for the baby. I finally got the boys (aka my daddy and hubby) to take the final boxes into the storage unit and out of my way. There was a small path that lead from my side of the bed to the bathroom, so that in the middle of the night I could take those bathroom breaks that all pregnant women have to do. Now we finally have a clear room, the baby's room is pretty much set up and I have accomplished some projects that needed attention. I am not used to having a whole day at home and I have been trying to find that right balance between relaxing and cooking this baby, and getting stuff done around the house. I forget that time in front of the television goes by much quicker than you know. I find myself looking up at the clock and realizing I've been watching some ridiculous show for the past 3-4 hours and then I slap myself and list off 50 things I could have done during that time. Hopefully I can get this all figured out before Hubby realizes I'm watching TV while he is working ;)
I received a sling in the mail the other day that I got for free by using one of my coupons from Motherhood Maternity. I didn't have a baby to use to test the size so I used my Fur Baby Lulu. She loved it and wanted me to carry her around in it all day. I thought the picture was cute so I shared it with all of you :)




Projects of the week:
1. Reupholstered the rocking chair that my mom and I picked up from a consignment sale for only $30. (I didn't take any before pictures but lets just say that it was pretty worn and had lavender gingham print which would obviously not go with Little Man's nursery) I loosely based this project on this tutorial. I basically took apart the original upholstery and cut out new pieces of my choice fabric.
Close up of the fabric. It's grey with white polka dots, we thought it looked kinda like elephant skin.

















2. Finished the applique on the quilt. My mom and I have designed our own quilt for the nursery and I have to say I am pretty proud of it. We have decided to tag-team the quilt since I can applique and she knows how to attach binding and quilt (something I could probably figure out but choose not to). So my part is done now she is going to finish it up and it will be ready to put in the nursery.

 I will post a picture of the quilt once it is done.

My next project is to make a skirt for the crib. I'm planning on making something similar to this one I found on pinterest. I love that it is adjustable and will always long enough to touch the floor. I can't stand when the skirt is too short and you can't even see it. Anyway, I haven't started this project because we are actually using the same crib that I used when I was a baby and my dad has yet to pull it out of the attic to be cleaned. So for now the skirt is on the To-Do list.

No comments:

Post a Comment